- Round-trip transportation from your Juneau cruise ship terminal!
- English-speaking certified guide!
- Experience paddling a traditional Tlingit-style canoe on Mendenhall lake fed by the glacier in Juneau!
- Keep your eyes peeled for potential wildlife sightings!
- Complimentary snacks and bottled water!
- See the Mendenhall glacier up close and from a different perspective with a very limited U.S. Forest Service permit!
- Escape the cruise ship shore excursion crowds and enjoy the unique sights of Juneau and Alaska!
You will meet your Juneau Mendenhall Glacier Lake Canoe Adventure Excursion transfer guide in downtown Juneau and drive to the Mendenhall Valley, approximately 30 minutes away. Here, you will meet your canoe excursion guides for this very limited experience. Because of the close approach, this Juneau Canoe Shore Excursion makes to the Mendenhall glacier face, the U.S. Forest Service tightly controls the number of participants, and a U.S. Forest Service permit is required to do this.
Your Mendenhall Lake Canoe Shore Excursion guides will fit you out with life jackets before giving you a safety and canoe orientation. You will then board your 14 passengers' traditional Tlingit-style canoe, a very stable 28-foot watercraft, with all modern safety quality gear supplied. Setting out from shore, you will paddle across Mendenhall Lake toward the face of Mendenhall glacier. As you paddle, you will be navigating past small icebergs that have broken off the face of the glacier, while keeping your eyes peeled for Alaskan wildlife. Birds including arctic terns nest on the shoreline and eagles, goats, salmon, and bears are all common sights.
Based on weather and calving conditions on the day of your Juneau Glacier Canoe Excursion, your guide will maneuver your canoe within a safe distance of the massive, awe-inspiring face of the living Mendenhall Glacier. You may also have a short thrill ride by skirting the base of beautiful and mighty Nugget Falls.
A stop will be made to refuel with a complimentary snack of Alaskan-style reindeer sausage, salmon spread, cheese, crackers, and water. Once recharged, you will paddle back across Mendenhall Lake to the starting point of this shore excursion. From here, transportation will take you back to Juneau and your cruise ship terminal.
This is a one-of-a-kind adventure cruise excursion from Juneau and is very limited. Book early to avoid disappointment.